Many online tools allow business owners to build and publish websites without hiring a professional web designer:
- WordPress.com (which is different than WordPress.org)
- GoDaddy web builder
- Without Code
- and many more
Like a “starter home” website
These website builders are often a good choice for businesses that are just getting off the ground and don’t have enough money to hire a professional designer.
I often compare these homemade websites to the “starter homes” newlyweds might purchase. A Wix website gives your business somewhere to live for a while, but you should plan on upgrading as your business grows.
In fact – if you can afford it and think your business will be successful – you should hire a professional to make your first site. It will help your new company stand out from the competition and attract more potential customers on search engines. Let me explain …
The pitfalls of DIY website builders
At Henderson Media, we make most sites with the content management system developed by WordPress.org. This is a great website builder – in the hands of a professional web designer.
But there are several problems with online tools that allow you as a business owner to build your own website:
- They are often template-based, which means your website may look just like hundreds of other business websites. If you want to stand out from the crowd, get something designed specifically for your brand and your company culture.
- They are sometimes hard to use. A professional web designer may be able to make something beautiful with these tools. But the average person may become overwhelmed with all the buttons and options.
- Great design requires training and experience. Homemade sites often have confusing navigation, which provides a poor user experience. I’ve seen do-it-yourself websites lacking critical details like the business address and phone number.
- You’re too “close” to the project. Business owners often have difficulty fully explaining their products and services to the public. They mistakenly assume everyone else knows industry jargon and practices. This leaves visitors confused, which leads to fewer sales. An outside SEO writer can create content that does a better job of attracting customers and search engines.
- SEO is more complex than you think. Business owners are great at their jobs (running restaurants, selling insurance, etc.), but they don’t have time to learn how to attract search engine traffic through SEO. Handing these tasks off to a professional should get better results.
How much money are you saving building your own site?
Owning your own business can be expensive, and you may invest large sums of money into the process. But think about everything you pay for to get your business off the ground:
- Legal fees: establishing your LLC, trademarks, and patents.
- Property lease or purchase: space for office, warehouse, or retail operations.
- Equipment and services: phones, computers, internet, vehicles, tools, etc.
- Signage, business cards, flyers, networking groups: all the things you buy to get your brand name out there.
- Paid advertising: TV, radio, print, and digital.
- Payroll and HR: paychecks, insurance, and other benefits.
Compared to other expenses, a website can be a relatively small investment.
Why is your website the place where you try to cut corners?
Most people don’t drive around looking for a business to hire or products to buy. They go online and search for companies and products. So your website could be the first part of your business people see.
If your website is not properly search-engine optimized, customers might not find your business. Even if they do find your business, you may not have a website that properly explains your company and why it’s the best choice.
How much money are you losing due to poor marketing?
A marketing specialist could find out how many people in your area are searching online for your product or service each month. You could then compare that quantity to the number of calls or emails you’re getting monthly from your current website. I’m sure you’ll be shocked to learn that you are only getting attention from a tiny fraction of the potential customers in your area.
Those lost interactions equal lost income! You can calculate how much money you’re potentially losing by having a poorly performing website.
How much money would you make if you gained one extra client each month from your website? What about ten new clients?
By looking at your website as an investment, you can see why hiring a professional website designer may be best.
Should I fix or replace your website?
I’ve been in the web design industry since 2006. I’ve replaced lots of websites designed with DYI builders like WIX and GoDaddy web builder. It was usually easier and faster to just start over. And it usually costs no more to build a new site from scratch.
Only a few times did I use the existing site and simply give it a makeover. And those sites were designed with a DYI builder by a professional designer the business owner had previously hired.
How good is your current website?
Your website probably has some good qualities. But there is probably also a lot of room for improvement.
I’m happy to look at your site and make some recommendations.
Simply make an appointment for a free one-hour consultation on my calendar. During our meeting, I’ll learn about your business, answer your questions, and develop a customized marketing plan.
Schedule a Meeting
Get a free one-hour consultation with a marketing expert
About Henderson Media
Our marketing agency helps your business stand out from the competition with better online reviews and improved search engine optimization (SEO). We also provide superior content writing, web design, corporate photography, and video production. We are based in Springfield MO and help clients both near and far grow their businesses.